Institute: Online Risk and Safety Education
The Institute is ELM's online learning platform that offers clients access to more than 150 different risk management Continuing Medical Education (CME) courses. The courses are accessible from any computer or cell phone with web browsing capability and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
ELM's Institute delivers online courses to your healthcare providers through a unique publishing platform that allows clients to set up virtual classrooms. This flexibility lets you target education by specialty, facility, provider type, or combination of variables. Different groups of healthcare providers can receive a customized curriculum within each classroom.
ELM's editorial faculty of physician-attorneys select course topics based on client needs, common claims/lawsuits, and industry knowledge of where risk often occurs in clinical practice. To date, ELM offers more than 140 different medical-legal course topics, including courses in 26 different medical specialties. ELM also offers content specifically developed for nurses, residents and physicians in the office practice setting. View our current Course Topics.
Combine ELM's Content with Yours
In addition to accessing ELM's online curriculum, clients have the option of loading their own courses onto the ELM learning management system. This will allow easy access to client-sponsored CME, as well as convenient alternative for physicians unable to join live education sessions. The ELM and client CME material can coexist on the same learning management system, which is hosted, supported, and administered by ELM.
As an example, online classrooms could include:
- Obstetrics (e.g., shoulder dystocia, electronic fetal monitoring)
- The Healthcare Team (e.g., provider interaction, supervision and control)
- Physician-Patient Relationships (e.g., accepting patients, discontinuing care)
- High-Risk Specialties (e.g., obstetrics, orthopedics, neurosurgery, emergency medicine)
- Office Practice Setting (e.g., managing labs and test results, coding: fraud and abuse)
- Basic Responsibilities & Practices (e.g., documentation, informed consent)
- Nursing (e.g., chain of command, team building)
- Resident (e.g., medical-legal basics, ACGME Core Competencies)
- Compliance & Accreditations (e.g., hospital-acquired conditions, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act [HIPAA], Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act [EMTALA])
- State Risk Management Requirements (e.g., Medical Malpractice Insurance Pool of NY - Regulation 124, Medical Care Availability and Reduction of Error Fund of PA)
- Children's Hospitals (e.g., minor consent, adverse event disclosure)
By working together, ELM develops programs that meet clients' unique risk and patient safety needs. Common program options include: